At Ashridge Home Care, we firmly believe in the benefits of receiving palliative care at home, surrounded by everything you know and love. By extending palliative care beyond traditional healthcare settings, it creates a nurturing and supportive space where individuals can receive tailored attention, promoting comfort and maintaining a sense of normalcy throughout the course of their illness or old age.
It’s a deeply personal and holistic approach that provides solace, dignity, and an enriched quality of life as you age. Find out more below.
What is the difference between palliative care and end-of-life care?
Palliative care is a type of care that focuses on relieving pain and other symptoms of serious illness and providing support to patients and their families. It is often given at the end of life, but it can also be provided at any stage of a serious illness.
Palliative care can be made available in a variety of settings, including hospitals, hospices, and homes. However, there are many benefits to receiving palliative care at home.
End-of-life care, on the other hand, specifically addresses the needs of individuals in the final stages of a terminal illness or those nearing the end of their lives. It encompasses palliative care but is more focused on ensuring comfort, dignity and support in the final days, weeks or months of life.
What are the benefits of palliative care at home?
Here are some of the benefits of receiving palliative care at home:
- Comfort: People who receive palliative care at home are able to remain in the comfort of their own surroundings, alongside their loved ones. This can help to reduce stress and anxiety and improve quality of life.
- Flexibility: Home-based palliative care can be tailored to the individual needs and preferences of the patient and their family. This includes the type of care that is provided, the schedule of care, and the location of care.
- Choice: Patients and families who choose home-based palliative care have more control over their care. They are able to choose the care team that they want to work with, and they can make decisions about their care.
- Support: Home-based palliative care can provide support to both the patient and their family. This includes emotional and practical support. Live-in carers are also good at helping with coordination and communication where there are several agencies involved such as palliative care teams, district nursing and community teams.
In addition to these general benefits, there are also some specific benefits to receiving palliative care at home for people with certain conditions. For example, people living with dementia may benefit from being in a familiar environment, while people with cancer may benefit from having easy access to their loved ones.
If you are considering palliative care for yourself or a loved one, be sure to talk to your doctor or other trusted sources. They can help you determine if home-based palliative care is right for you and develop a care plan that meets your individual needs.
Top tips for getting the most out of live-in palliative care?
Here are some tips for getting the most out of home-based palliative care:
- Be honest with your care provider about your goals and expectations – ask if the provider has connections with palliative care teams and local hospices. You should also ask if they have an End-of-life Coordinator or Champion, as this shows unwavering compassion towards their patients and their families.
- Communicate regularly with your care team.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Take advantage of the support services that are available to you.
- Enjoy your time with your loved ones.
Home-based palliative care can be a great way to receive the care you need in the comfort of your own home, surrounded by your loved ones.
Our specialist palliative care at home services
Choosing Ashridge Home Care for specialised palliative care at home is a decision rooted in a commitment to exceptional care, compassion and individualised support. Our team consists of highly-skilled healthcare professionals with extensive expertise in palliative care. We prioritise not only the physical but also the emotional wellbeing of our patients, offering unwavering compassion, empathy, and understanding during challenging times.
One of our key strengths lies in the development of personalised care plans tailored to the unique needs of each patient. We believe that this approach is essential in improving the quality of life and effectively managing symptoms.
We recognise the profound importance of familiar surroundings during palliative care and provide our services in the comforting environment of the patient’s home. This contributes to a sense of security and peace during difficult moments.
At Ashridge Home Care, we extend our support to the families of our patients, providing guidance and assistance to ensure that they are well-informed and cared for throughout the journey. Our holistic approach to palliative care ensures that patients and their loved ones receive the highest level of care and support, making Ashridge the trusted choice for home-based palliative care.